Saturday, May 28, 2011

Questions that make you ask questions!


Today on our way to my oldest sons baseball game a conversation about the guy who said he knew when the last day of the world was, came up. Colten, my oldest said that the guy must feel pretty stupid for getting it wrong and my daughter agreed. Then she said that the new last day of the world is gonna happen in October. (I think my kids watch the news too much. Lol) Colten turns to me and asks my opinion. I tell him that the Lord says to beware of false prophets and that no one, not even Jesus, will know the day or time when God will come back. He seemed to accept that answer with out thinking twice but not Katie. After pondering on my words for a few minutes she speaks up and says, "Mom, are God and Jesus the same person?" Colten quickly responded saying no they are not the same person. Katie looks over at me patiently waiting for me to clear things up. I can't!!!!

This question has my mind scrambling to find the right way to explain this to them in a way that they understand. I come up empty!

Blank!
Zip!
Zilch!
Nodda!

I have no idea how to answer this very important question. Luckily, I was saved by the fact that we had arrived at our destination and they had become distracted with the excitement of the game but through out the day my mind kept coming back to this conversation. It was nagging at me and I couldn't shake it.

Why couldn't I answer such a simple question? How do you answer a question like that? Yes, no, kinda?? I think the fact that I didn't have the words and quite frankly the biblical knowledge to explain to my children that the answer is so much more complicated then just a simple yes or no bothered me a great deal. In turn that got me asking more questions.

Why don't you know Amber?
How are you supposed to teach your kids more about God and Jesus if you don't know yourself?
If not me then who will they learn from? If I am not teaching them right there is gonna be someone out there waiting to teach them wrong!

As you can tell my head was and still is spinning with all these questions and thoughts. While trying to decipher them a thought hit me. "You need the knowledge before you can teach the knowledge!" Well duh Amber!  It's obvious that I don't know as much as I thought I knew. Well why don't I? Another thought slams into me, "You learn by going to church, reading the bible, and worshiping the Lord!" All things that we have been slacking on. Yes we pray everyday but is that enough??

I think that what started as a simple little conversation between brother and sister was really Gods way of telling mommy that we have slipped a little too far away from where we are supposed to be! For awhile now we have been fighting to find a church that we could feel comfortable at. It has seemed like it's a losing battle. Yes, we have found some wonderful churches but none that have given us that "we are home" feeling. I think part of the reason is because we keep comparing every church to the church we left in AZ. We were comfortable there and we miss it. In the hassle of it all we have sort of let the whole issue get pushed to the back burner. News flash!! God does not belong on the back burner!! He made that point loud and clear to me today!

So once again we will continue our search for a church, but with an open heart and an open mind. I am confident that the Lord will lead us to where He wants us to be. Doesn't He always?

 One thing I know for sure is that I long to have that close relationship with God again. He feels too far away right now and it because of my own doings! I also know that when my children ask me a question I want to know the answer, or be able to know how to get that answer! After all, God gave them to me perfect and healthy. The least I can do is grow them up knowing Him!

How awesome is it that when God wants up to know something he finds a way to tell us?!! Loud and clear!!

No comments :

Post a Comment