Saturday, January 18, 2014

Losing

So I have been trying to get "lost" in worship music lately in hopes of clearing my head of all the junk that satan seems to want to keep attacking it with. I have been trying to focus on Him and what better way to do that then to submerge myself in worship and praise for Him. 

On my way to drop my oldest off at school on Thursday morning a song on the radio caught my attention but I was only able to remember a few words. I quickly saved them in a memo on my phone with the intention of looking them up when I got home. Things got crazy and, like most things, it was forgotten about. Yesterday I went to add yet another memo (I must write everything down or I forget..haha) and there are the lyrics. I quickly did a Youtube search and this song popped up. Listen to it, soak it up, and wrap your mind around what they are saying.

               
I can't believe what she said
I can't believe what he did
Oh, don't they know it's wrong
Don't they know it's wrong
Well maybe there's something I missed
But how could they treat me like this
It's wearing out my heart
The way they disregard

This is love or this is hate
We all have a choice to make

Oh, Father wont You forgive them
They don't know what they've been doin' (oh no)
Oh Father, give me grace to forgive them
'Cause I feel like the one losin'

Well it's only the dead that can live
But still I wrestle with this
To lose the pain that's mine
Seventy times seven times
'Cause Lord it doesn't feel right
For me to turn a blind eye
Though I guess it's not that much
When I think of what You've done

This is love or this is hate
We gotta a choice to make

Oh Father won't You forgive them
They don't know what they've been doin' (oh no)
Oh Father, give me grace to forgive them
'Cause I feel like the one losin'

Why do we think that our hate's gonna break a hard heart
We're rippin' arms over wars that don't need to be fought
'Cause pride wont let us lay our weapons on the ground
We build our bridges up but it's just to burn them down
We think our pain is own apologies and get them to stop
Well truth be told it doesn't matter if their sorry or not
'Cause freedom comes when we surrender to the sound
Of Your mercy and Your grace, Father, send Your angels down

Oh Father wont you forgive them
They don't know what they've been doin'
Oh Father, give me grace to forgive them
'Cause I feel like the one losin'
I feel like I've been losing

Oh Father wont you forgive them
They don't know what they've been doin'
Oh Father, give me grace to forgive them
'Cause I feel like the one losin'
I feel like I've been losing

Oh Father, give me grace to forgive them
'Cause I feel like the one losin'





I can't believe I have never heard it before!! The words, the message of this song, speaks so loudly to me. There are a few people/situations in my life that this could be directly aimed at and those were the first things that popped into my head. However, after listening to this song for the umpteenth time I was hit with yet another realization. (Yep, that's how God works my friends!) Not only could this song be about ME letting go and forgiving others for the hurt and pain they have caused in my life but it could also be about OTHERS letting go and forgiving me as well. I was quickly, and almost harshly, reminded that my slate isn't sparkly and clean. I am a sinner and I am positive that I have caused pain and/or hurt to many through my actions or my words at one point in time or another. It's not something I am proud of or that I would ever boast about but it's truth, nonetheless.

I am not saying that it is easy. We are human beings. We tend to have a hard time forgiving and forgetting. I am the worst at this! While it is easy for me to say "I forgive you" and feel like I truly mean it, I find that often times it's a lie. You see I have a hard time with the forgetting part. (Please tell me I am not the only one!) It's hard to look at someone who has hurt you and just completely let it go because we have the fear of being hurt again. Right?! But LOOK at this verse in the song: 

Cause Lord it doesn't feel right 
For me to turn a blind eye
Though I guess it's not that much
When I think of what You've done



Are you kidding me?! The power in those words are almost overwhelming to me! I think about all He has done for me, all that He has forgiven me of, ALL THE PAIN HE HAD TO ENDURE ON THE CROSS FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US TO BE FORGIVEN OF OUR SINS AND HAVE ETERNAL LIFE, and I am in awe! How can I selfishly hold on to all of the bad things that have happened to me (or that I have done) when Jesus has already, unselfishly, paid the ultimate price for them?  My petty issues pale in comparison and by holding on to them I am the one losing!

I decided to do a quick search on what the bible has to say about forgiveness (unfortunately I am not as bible savvy as I would like to be and I am unable to know off the top of my head exactly where to go to find what I need in a time like this. I am working on that but for now a quick google search did the trick) and came across Matthew 6:14- For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Let's just stop and think of what that means for a minute. By not forgiving ourselves and others we are not only losing out on our freedom of peace but we are also, in other words, denying God the ability to forgive us. Whoa!! That puts a whole new spin on losing. Do we really want to lose out on all God has to offer us because we are too focused on the past? Too stubborn to let go of all that hurt and pain?

That alone is enough to have me evaluating my situations and seeking ways to forgive and let go for good. I don't want to let all that junk stand in the way of receiving all the greatness that God has in store for me. Do you?  

No comments :

Post a Comment